Why do we need to look after our skin?
Our pharmacist Michelle from NATorigin natural cosmetics and skincare explains the importance of a consistent skincare routine.
Have you ever wondered what builds up on our skin every day?
- Traces of cleanser, toner, moisturiser and eye cream from our morning skincare regimes
- Any sebum or sweat that has formed on the skin throughout the day
- The day’s cosmetics including foundation, blusher, powder, eyeshadow and mascara
- Daily dirt, germs and pollution from the outside world
Each of these becomes far more potent when they become gradually mixed in with the other three. By the time your head hits the pillow, there is a concoction on your face that bacteria will love to feed on! This could lead to blocked pores, spotty breakouts and a dull-looking complexion.
Over time, damaging particles that cause ageing known as free radicals can develop in the skin and attack the structures within such as collagen fibres, leading to sagging skin and fine lines or wrinkles.
I can see that if you have normal skin, sticking to a skincare regime may be difficult to do as no immediate benefits can be seen or felt. I have always had combination/oily or spotty skin linked to my polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) that is now feeling drier. So I have always been motivated to look after my skin in one way or another. Hopefully this blog shows that even normal skin attracts these invisible nasties that need to removed and the skin’s natural defences to them need to be strengthened every day.
So ALWAYS take the time to…..prepare your skin for the day’s grime each morning and remove it and your make up really well at the end of the day as follows;
- apply a gentle eye makeup remover using fingertips or a cotton pad
- follow with a facial cleanser
- allow both to sink in and dissolve the grime for a couple of minutes
- lift off with a mild, alcohol-free toning lotion on a cotton pad
- apply a detoxifying (anti-pollution) or firming moisturiser, after a serum if your skin is dry, to rehydrate and rebalance your skin
As we don’t wear clothes on our faces, they really are open to the elements. Maintaining a consistent skincare routine will lead to brighter, more radiant skin along with drinking plenty of water, eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of exercise and sleep.
The award-winning, natural NATorigin skincare range is Vegan Approved by The Vegetarian Society, Allergy UK approvedand especially suitable for sensitive skin and eyes thanks to its unique production process that avoids irritants and prepares each product in a unique, hypo-allergenic way.